Talking to your daughter about sex – Lauren Snyder
Who taught you about sex as a child? If you’re a parent, how do you feel about talking to your child about sex?
According to a survey conducted by Knowledge Networks, 57% of parents feel uncomfortable talking to their kids about sex and 64% reported that their parents didn’t do a good job talking to them. How do we engage in this important conversation with our kids with confidence as well as effectiveness?
On this episode of the Better Together Podcast, I’m talking Lauren Snyder, Executive Director of Ministry at CedarCreek Church in Perrysburg, OH. Join our conversation as we have a conversation about a topic that we hate talking to our kids about: SEX.
During this podcast, you hear and learn:
- A fun story about the unconventional way that Lauren learned about the birds-and-the-bees;
- Why parents must be the first and primary voice in their children’s life regarding sex;
- Lauren will equip you with phrases that we need to repeat early and often to our kids to keep them from developing body-related or sex-related shame.
During our podcast, Lauren also named a few of the resources that she provided to Lydia. We’ve also included those links for you:
- The Care and Keeping of You: The Body Book for Younger Girls, Revised Edition Paperback (2012) by Valorie Schaefer (Author), Josee Masse (Illustrator)
- The Care and Keeping of You 2: The Body Book for Older Girls (Paperback 2013) by Cara Natterson (Author), Josee Masse (Illustrator)
- God’s Design for Sex Series (4 books) By Stan Jones and Brenna Jones
As Lauren recommends, please read these resources before handing them off to your kids. You’ll want to be aware and equipped to receive the questions that your child might ask, rather than scrambling to do damage control or untwist any misconceptions.
What if you’re afraid to teach your kids about sex because you feel ashamed or guilty about your past?
Romans 8:1 says that there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. If God has forgiven you, then you need to let His forgiveness in to clear your heart and mind and not block it with your guilt, shame or self-hatred. If you don’t accept God’s forgiveness, you’ll miss an opportunity to testify to your kids about how God forgives and how we can be set free from guilt and shame.
What if you don’t know what the Bible says about sex?
This is a common question. There are a lot of people who are confused about what the Bible does and doesn’t teach about sex. Now, there are an endless list of resources and perspectives. Here is a “starter” list for adults who want to learn more. You’re welcome to share your suggestion on the blog page.
- The Gift of Sex in Marriage – sermon by Ben Snyder, CedarCreek Church)
- If you’re single – Love, Sex and Dating by Andy Stanley
- If you’re married – Sheet Music by Kevin Leman
- For Women Only – by Shaunti Feldhahn
- If you’re struggling with shame or guilt – Beautiful Already Bible study by Barb Roose
- Pornography – Resources available at XXXChurch.com
SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK! How taught you about sex? If you are a parent, how did you teach your daughters about sex? Are there any resources that you’d recommend?