Memorial Day Weekend is upon us. This year, the memories of what I’ve seen and felt the past few days will be fresh on my heart. The understanding that one person’s sacrifice can bring freedom to countless others is an explanation for why the United States is the home of the free and the land of the brave, but this concept is an echo of the gospel that Jesus’ sacrifice brings us freedom.
I invite you to join me in considering the gift of freedom – not just the price paid for it, but also the need to never take it for granted or the importance of championing freedom for all.
On this Memorial Day weekend, perhaps you can…
- Visit family members who’ve served, whether they are living or are in a cemetery.
- If they are living, ask them to share their most memorable moments. Just listen to their stories of how they served to protect your freedom – even if they were stateside filling out paperwork in an air-conditioned office. Every sacrifice matters!
- If they’ve passed away, take a moment to plant a flag and stand in silence to honor them.
- Look around your communities and pay attention to where people are not experiencing the kind of freedom that you enjoy.
- There are a lot of people who do not feel the same kind of freedom that you may feel. Don’t be afraid to ask them to share their stories so that you can learn more.
Most importantly…reflect on what Jesus did for your freedom. He didn’t just die for you to go to heaven, but His death and resurrection brings freedom to your life every single day! Walk in freedom, my friends. Throw off the bondage of unforgiveness, bitterness, scarcity, pride, and selfishness. Freedom came at great cost to Christ for you, so honor Him by living in freedom today.